Today is definitely the most beautiful day this year here in Central Florida. The cooler weather is rolling in and fall is in the air. One of my favorite things about fall is soups. Oh my goodness, how I LOVE soup! Actually, I eat soup all year round, even when it’s hot outside. 🙂 There is something about soup that is so comforting to me all year. I could probably (If I had the time) create an entire blog dedicated to soup….hmmm maybe a soup cookbook? 🙂
I have been thinking about this soup since I heard that the cooler weather was headed our way. I am a HUGE fan of leeks, if you cannot get your hands on leeks green onion (scallions) will do just fine. If you are of the notion that soup should be a side-dish just be warned that this soup is so hearty you will want to eat nothing else! However, if you find yourself needing to pair it up with something, I would suggest a light salad with maybe some walnuts, apples, and a poppyseed dressing (my husband’s FAVORITE dressing is Annie’s Papaya Poppyseed).
What really makes this soup “soup”perb (get it, hahaha) is the seasoning. I am IN LOVE with Frank’s Finest Seasonings. Frank is not only a dedicated chef, he’s also a wonderful person, a great father & husband, and my colleague at New Horizon Health. Right now I’m OBSESSED with his Chili-Garlic Salt, I use it on EVERYTHING! If you don’t have any Frank’s Finest in your pantry you can still make this chowder it just won’t be as awesome. 🙂
Fall Favorite: Spicy Corn & Potato Chowder (Vegan)
What you will need:
Large Stock Pot
2T coconut oil
2 leeks, thinly sliced
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1/2c celery leaves and some small pieces of celery (you know the part of the celery that most people throw away? It’s FABULOUS in flavoring soups!)
1T sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2-3 tsp red pepper flakes
2T Follow Your Heart grapeseed oil mayonnaise (trust me :))
6 small red-skin potatoes, cut into small cubes
1 16oz bag frozen, organic, sweet corn
Vegetable broth or water
Steps to FABULOUS soup:
1) In the large stock pot, saute over medium-low heat leeks, sweet onion, and celery leaves with 1 tsp Frank’s Finest Chili-Garlic Salt, 1 tsp red pepper flakes, turmeric, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper until onion is translucent. This will be about 3 minutes.
2) Add diced potatoes, corn, the remaining tsp of Chili-Garlic salt, the remaining tsp (or two if you like it hot ;)) of red pepper flakes, and the sea salt. Cover and let cook for 4-5 minutes.
3) Stir mixture so all the flavors and yumminess (yes that’s a word) meld together. Add vegetable broth or water (or like myself, a combination of both) so there is about 1 1/2 inches of liquid above the mixture.
4) Cover and bring to a boil on high heat. Then turn to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
5) Put about 4 cups of the soup in a blender with the grapeseed oil mayo and blend on high. Pour this mixture back into the soup.
Voila! I know you will enjoy this soup as much as I do. Happy Fall! 🙂